Re: Good hardware for mdadm

op 30-08-14 11:53, Roger Heflin schreef:
> That means you need an external config tool  (serial, ilo or IMM that
> allows remote console access), I rarely go into the data center that
> all of the hw I run is in, and because of the remote console access
> can fix all but truly broken hw without having hands in the DC).

That's a way to repear something what's broken. Not a more redundant
solution I was looking for. But you are right, it helps a lot. I use
IPMI for remote console. And on some machines a serial console.

What I don't like about IPMI is that the part on the server is -so far I
know- not really open source and I cannot update it for security, so I
can only use it from a secure subnet initiated by another machine.

A serial connection can be done OSS, but you need another machine in the
direct neighborhood, and it's not really nice.

So in both cases you need 2 machines with at least to IP's. Many firms
here have DSL with only one IP.

> For most low end enterprise hw this option adds $200-300 to the price.

It's standard on the machines I buy (Supermicro).

>    If using the simplest (serial) the given mb bios must support
> serial and all add-on bioses must also properly support serial.   I
> have messed with machines that when using serial you cannot see/access
> some of the add on bioses which limits what you can do.   ILO/IMM
> (full graphics console remote type setups) don't have this deficiency
> and can in some cases actually allow one to present a remote boot cd
> to a device and rescue boot it.

Not sure this is possible with OSS applications.

> The MBR did not get broken, it was broken like this as originally
> designed 30 years ago, it was always setup to be only able to deal
> with totally dead drivers (ie drive not showing up at all).

I think you mean the bios. Some bios-es can do fakeraid, and I expect
they can boot from another disk when the first disk is corrupt. But you
cannot use mdadm then, what I would like.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.