Re: I've made a bit of a mess in my raid setup

On Sun, 9 Mar 2014 11:34:56 +0100 Federico Foschini <undicizeri@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hello,
> I've consolidated the state of the system, these are the details:
>
> http://pastebin.com/k7wGpw8F

(why do people insist on use pastebin rather than just including all the info
directly in the email !?!?!)

Based on this info the first thing to do it
  mdadm /dev/md1 --add /dev/md0

and wait for it to rebuild.

Then you need to make sure it starts properly on reboot...

What do you  have  in
   /etc/mdadm.conf
(or maybe /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf on ubuntu) ??

What is in that file in the initrd?

 zcat /boot/initrd | cpio -i --to-stdout etc/mdadm.conf

md0 needs to be listed before md1.  If not you should  change that.

However it could just be that Ubuntu's boot process is broken for multi-level
arrays - it is easy to get wrong and not often tested.

> Notice how /dev/md0 has the Name : petra:md1 and /dev/md1 doesn't have
> any superblock. Also it appears there is an old mdadm superblock on
> /dev/sda1 with my previous array configuration.

md1 does not have a superblock because it is not part of any array.
The components that make up md1 have superblocks.

As suggested  by others,
  mdadm --zero-super /dev/sda1
will remove that old superblock.

You can also remove the partition tables from /dev/sd[ab]1 with
  dd if=/dev/zero count=1 > /dev/sda1
etc.

NeilBrown