Re: I've made a bit of a mess in my raid setup

On 08-03-14 12:16, Federico Foschini wrote:
The old system had only sda and sdb in raid1. Now I've made a linear
array with sda and sdb and created a new raid1 array with sdd.

Is there something wrong with my setup?
Do you have any reason to think so?
Yes, because yesterday I've update the kernel and grub complained
about "raid array -1 not found".
Also why sda and sdb have both a partition defined as "linux raid" but
sdd doesn't? Where is the correct way to create an array? If I
remember correctly these are the steps I did:

0) The system was /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 in raid1 (dev/md0) with a LVM
partition on top of the raid
1) I created a new degradeted raid 1 /dev/md1 array with /dev/sdd
(without defining any partition)
2) I've mounted /dev/md1 and formatted as ext4. Then I copied
everything from /dev/md0
3) I destroyed the old /dev/md0 and than recreated a new /dev/md0 as a
linear array
4) I've added /dev/md0 on /dev/md1 and the drivers start syncying

Than I've update the kernel and grub complained about "raid array -1".
When I restarted the system a Grub error 17 was showed.
So I booted from an usb key and restored grub (I think I installed it
wrongly on /dev/sda instead of the correct drive /dev/sdc) and the
system booted correctly.

one more question before i give my best guess

Do you use a initrd to load modules during boot, or do does your kernel contain all drivers in itself?

Cheers

Rudy