Re: I've made a bit of a mess in my raid setup

On 09-03-14 11:34, Federico Foschini wrote:
Hello,
I've consolidated the state of the system, these are the details:

http://pastebin.com/k7wGpw8F

Notice how /dev/md0 has the Name : petra:md1 and /dev/md1 doesn't have
any superblock. Also it appears there is an old mdadm superblock on
/dev/sda1 with my previous array configuration.

So now what I'm trying to achive is this configuration: removing the
hold partitions /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 with the old superblock (by
the way how is it possible i'm using an array with /dev/sda and
/dev/sdb while these devices contains an old partition?) Configuring
correctly the raid 1 array with /dev/sdd and /dev/md0

Your old raid config used not the whole disk, but partitions on the disks. That means the location of the md superblock is different. Thus you can create the above situation.

Do you have data on the raid? If not, or if easily re-created, it might be best to ensure all old traces are gone before rebuilding.

There are several ways to wipe old superblocks, or a partition table you no longer want. For partition table, use you favourite partition program and let it create a new table. Write the table out without any partitions.

to wipe old mdadm superblocks, mdadm /dev/sda1 --zero-superblock, and repeat for each partition where you have an old superblock

Cheers