Re: "Missing" RAID devices

On 5/24/2013 12:15 PM, keld@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 02:37:01AM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

>>> I think it is you who are not fully aquainted with Linux MD. Linux
>>> MD RAID10,far3 offers improved performance in single read,
>>
>> On most of today's systems, read performance is largely irrelevant WRT
>> swap performance.  However write performance is critical.  None of the
>> md/RAID10 layouts are going to increase write throughput over RAID1
>> pairs.  And all the mirrored RAIDs will be 2x slower than interleaved
>> swap across direct disk partitions.
>
> In my experience read performance from swap is critical, at least
> on single user systems. Eg swapping in firefox  or libreoffice
> may take quite some time and there raid10,far helps by almost halfing
> the time for the swapping in. writes are not important, as long as you are not trashing.

If a single user system has multiple drives configured in RAID10 and
productivity applications are being swapped, then the user should be
smacked in the head.  2GB DIMMs are $10.  Any hard drive is $50+ but
usually much more.

This is not a valid argument.

> In general halfing the swapping in with raid10,far is nice for a process, but
> for small processes it is not noticable for a laptop user or a
> server user, say http or ftp.

Neither is this.  Laptop users don't run RAID10.  And server swap
performance is all about page write, not read, as I previously stated.

--
Stan