Re: "Missing" RAID devices

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 02:05:44PM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 5/24/2013 12:15 PM, keld@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> >> On most of today's systems, read performance is largely irrelevant WRT
> >> swap performance.  However write performance is critical.  None of the
> >> md/RAID10 layouts are going to increase write throughput over RAID1
> >> pairs.  And all the mirrored RAIDs will be 2x slower than interleaved
> >> swap across direct disk partitions.
> >
> > In my experience read performance from swap is critical, at least
> > on single user systems. Eg swapping in firefox  or libreoffice
> > may take quite some time and there raid10,far helps by almost halfing
> > the time for the swapping in. writes are not important, as long as you are not trashing.
>
> If a single user system has multiple drives configured in RAID10 and
> productivity applications are being swapped, then the user should be
> smacked in the head.  2GB DIMMs are $10.  Any hard drive is $50+ but
> usually much more.
>
> This is not a valid argument.

And the cost to select, buy and install RAM is much more than USD 10.
And some systems dont have room for more RAM, etc.

> > In general halfing the swapping in with raid10,far is nice for a process, but
> > for small processes it is not noticable for a laptop user or a
> > server user, say http or ftp.
>
> Neither is this.  Laptop users don't run RAID10.  And server swap
> performance is all about page write, not read, as I previously stated.

Some laptop users and desktop users run raid10. I think all laptop
and desktop users should have at least 2 disks and run mirrorred raid on them.
Both for security and for performance.

Server performance for properly configured servers will benefit from
snappy swap read performance. Write performance of swap would normally
not be noticable - not a bottleneck.

best regards
keld