Re: GPT Table broken on a Raid1

On Sep 21, 2012, at 5:42 AM, Günther J. Niederwimmer wrote:

> I have
> mdadm-3.2.5-3.7.1

If you're making the RAID with that, it defaults to metadata version 1.2. But to be sure
mdadm -E /dev/mdX

> parted 2.4.-24.2.2
>
> on the computer.
>
>> Could be a bug in parted 2.3, which is old. Try using parted 3.0.
>
> I will search ;)

Or track down gdisk (a.k.a. GPT fdisk), which I prefer to parted anyway.

> my question is,  win can work with no Problem on the "Fakeraid" and a GPT
> Table. Could it be, that the kernel or / and parted have a Problem with the
> GPT Table on a Raid1 or a Raid10 Fakeraid ?

Just because Windows works with fakeraid doesn't mean it's a linux kernel problem. It's clearly not finding the secondary partition header where the primary one says it should be. So something is moving it, or stepping on it.

What linux distribution and version are you using? The fact you've got an older parted makes me wonder if the distribution predates the fix for dmraid and GPT, which is to use kpartx for activating partitions.

Another possibility is that Windows 7 is moving it, and is perfectly OK with the move, but then that breaks everything else.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10449114&postcount=12

Chris