Re: Hot-replace for RAID5

BTW thank you very much for the fix for layout=preserve. As soon as
current reshape finishes, I am going to other arrays.

Are regressions in 2.3.4 serious and so to which version I should
apply the patch? Or when you looked at the code, should
layout=left-symmetric-6 work in 2.3.2?

In regard reshaping speed, estimation when doing things a lot more
sequentially gives much higher speeds. Lets say 48 MB backup, 6 drives
with 80 MB/s sequential speed. If you do reshaping like this:
- Read 8 MB sequential from each drive in parallel, 0.1 s
- Then write it to backup, 48/80 = 0.6 s
- Calculate Q for something like 48 MB (guessing 0.05 s) and writing
it back to diff drives in parallel in 0.1 s. Because it is in the
cache and you are only writing  in this phase (?), there is not back
and forth seeking and rotational latency applies only couple of times
altogether, lets say 0.02.
- Update superblock and move header back, two worst seeks, 0.03 s (I
dont know how often do you update superblocks?)

you process 8 MB in cca 0.9 s, so speed in this scenario should be cca 9 MB/s.

I guess the main real difference when you logically doing it in
stripes can be that when you waiting for completion of writing chunks
(are you waiting for real completion of writes?), the difference
between first and last drive is often long enough to need wait one or
more rotations for writing another stripe. If that is the case, you
need add cca 128 * lets say 1.5 * 0.005 s = 0.64 s and so we are down
to cca 4.3 MB/s theoretically.

Patrik