Re: failed drive in raid 1 array

Roberto Spadim wrote:
i donÂt know how you setup your kernel (with or without raid

I use the official CentOS kernel with no modification and don't
know about raid autodetect, but:
# cat /boot/config-2.6.24-28-server |grep -i raid
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_3W_XXXX_RAID=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID0=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID1=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID10=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID456=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID5_RESHAPE=y
CONFIG_MEGARAID_LEGACY=m
CONFIG_MEGARAID_MAILBOX=m
CONFIG_MEGARAID_MM=m
CONFIG_MEGARAID_NEWGEN=y
CONFIG_MEGARAID_SAS=m
CONFIG_RAID_ATTRS=m
CONFIG_SCSI_AACRAID=m

autodetect?) do you use kernel command line to setup raid? autodetect?

/dev/md0 in grub
I don't know if that means autodetect, but I guess so..

here in my test machine iÂm using kernel command line (grub), i donÂt
have a server with hotplug bay, i open the case and remove the wire
with my hands =) after reconecting it with another device kerenel

Is it safe? Isn't it a blind bet to fry up the controller and/or disk?

recognize the new device reread the parititions etc etc and i can add
it to array again
my grub is something like:

md=0,/dev/sda,/dev/sdb .....

internal meta data, raid1, i didnÂt like the autodetect (itÂs good)
but i prefer hardcoded kernel command line (itÂs not good with usb
devices)

the relevant part of my grub is:

default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title CentOS (2.6.9-89.31.1.ELsmp)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-89.31.1.ELsmp ro root=/dev/md0 rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.9-89.31.1.ELsmp.img

Best regards.
Robi