Re: failed drive in raid 1 array

Albert Pauw wrote:
 On 02/23/11 06:56 PM, Roberto Spadim wrote:
sata2 without hot plug?
check if your sda sdb sdc will change after removing it, it´s depends
on your udev or another /dev filesystem

2011/2/23 Roberto Nunnari<roberto.nunnari@xxxxxxxx>:
Hello.

I have a linux box, with two 2TB sata HD in raid 1.

Now, one disk is in failed state and it has no spares:
# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
md1 : active raid1 sdb4[2](F) sda4[0]
      1910200704 blocks [2/1] [U_]

md0 : active raid1 sdb1[1] sda2[0]
      40957568 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices:<none>

The drives are not hot-plug, so I need to shutdown the box.

My plan is to:
# sfdisk -d /dev/sdb>  sdb.sfdisk
# mdadm /dev/md1 -r /dev/sdb4
-> removing should be ok, as the partition has failed in md1

ok.

# mdadm /dev/md0 -r /dev/sdb1
-> In this case, sdb1 hasn't failed according to the output of /proc/mdstat, so you should fail it otherwise you can't remove it:
mdadm /dev/md0 -f /dev/sdb1
mdadm /dev/md0 -r /dev/sdb1

good to know! Thank you.

# shutdown -h now

replace the disk and boot (it should come back up, even without one drive,
right?)

# sfdisk /dev/sdb<  sdb.sfdisk
# mdadm /dev/md1 -a /dev/sdb4
# mdadm /dev/md0 -a /dev/sdb1

and the drives should start to resync, right?

This is my first time I do such a thing, so please, correct me
if the above is not correct, or is not a best practice for
my configuration.

My last backup of md1 is of mid november, so I need to be
pretty sure I will not lose my data (over 1TB).

A bit abount my environment:
# mdadm --version
mdadm - v1.12.0 - 14 June 2005
# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 4.8 (Final)
# uname -rms
Linux 2.6.9-89.31.1.ELsmp i686
What about sdb2 an sdb3, are they in use as normal mountpoints, or swap. Then these should be commented out in /etc/fstab
before you change the disk.

Yes. They're normal mount point, so I'll have to
comment them out before rebooting, especially the swap partition.
Thank you for pointing that out!

Best regards.
Robi