Re: What's the typical RAID10 setup?

> For sequential reading, this is not true. For random reading and
> writing I agree with you in theory, but benchmarks show that it is not
> so, at least for Linux RAID, viz the above URL.

i agree with you, since linux algorith for raid1 is closest head, not
round robin or time based

there´s some patch on internet (google it: round robin raid1 linux)
for roundrobin, but none for time based =(
it´s a point of optimization of today raid1 algorithm

round robin (may be at this mail list)
http://www.spinics.net/lists/raid/msg30003.html

2011/2/1 Keld Jørn Simonsen <keld@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 05:02:46PM +0100, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
>> > >

>> > You can make raid10,f2 functionality from raid1+0 by using partitions.
>> > For example, to get a raid10,f2 equivalent on two drives, partition them
>> > into equal halves.  Then make md0 a raid1 mirror of sda1 and sdb2, and
>> > md1 a raid1 mirror of sdb1 and sda2.  Finally, make md2 a raid0 stripe
>> > set of md0 and md1.
>>
>> I don't think you get the striping performance of raid10,f2 with this
>> layout. And that is one of the main advantages of raid10,f2 layout.
>> Have you tried it out?
>>
>> As far as I can see the layout of blocks are not alternating between the
>> disks. You have one raid1 of sda1 and sdb2, there a file is allocated on
>> blocks sequentially on sda1 and then mirrored on sdb2, where it is also
>> sequentially allocated. That gives no striping.
>
> Well, maybe the RAID0 layer provides the adequate striping.
> I am noy sure, but it looks like it could hold in theory.
> One could try it out.
>
> One advantage of this scheme could be improved probability
> When 2 drives fail, eg. in the case of a 4 drive array.
> The probability of survival of a running system could then
> be enhaced form 33 % to 66 %.
>
> One problem could be the choice of always the lowest block number, which
> is secured in raid10,f2, but not in a raid0 over raid1 (or raid10,n2) scenario.
>
> best regards
> keld
> --

Roberto Spadim