Re: What's the typical RAID10 setup?

2011/1/31 Roberto Spadim <roberto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> no matter what raid1 or raid10 system we use
> raid1 is mirror! letÂs think that raid0 = more than one disk (not a
> single disk)...
>
> if a hard disk inside a mirror (raid1) fail (it can be a raid0 or a
> single disk) the mirror is failed
> for example: thereÂs no 25% survival for 2 mirrors with 4 disks!
> probability, here, is mirror based, not disk based!
> itÂs not a question about linux implementation is a question for
> generic raid1 (mirror) system (1 failed 2 mirrors = 1 mirror failed
> but 1 mirror working)
>
> you only can have 25% 'survival' if you can use 4 disks, or multiples
> of 4, for raid1
> if your raid0 is broken you donÂt have a raid0! you have a broken raid
> = broken mirror (for raid1)!
>
> should i write it again? for raid10 (raid1+0) with 4 disks you can
> only lost 1 disk! 1 disk lost = 1 raid0 lost = 1 mirror lost!
> should i write it again?
>
> 2011/1/31 Keld JÃrn Simonsen <keld@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 02:17:37PM -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>>> Keld JÃrn Simonsen put forth on 1/31/2011 1:28 PM:

>>> I don't care what Neil or anyone says, these "layouts" are _NOT_ RAID 10. ÂIf
>>> you want to discuss RAID 10, please leave these non-standard Frankenstein
>>> "layouts" out of the discussion. ÂIncluding them only muddies things unnecessarily.
>>
>> Please keep terminology clean, and non-ambigeous.
>> Please refer to the old term RAID10 as RAID1+0, which is also the
>> original and more precise term for that concept of multilevel RAID.
>>
>> RAID10 on this list refers to the RAID10 modules of the Linux kernel.
>>
>> I can concurr that this may be a somewhat misleading term, as it is
>> easily confused with the popular understanding of RAID10, meaning
>> RAID1+0. And I see Linux RAID10 as a family of RAID1 layouts.
>> Indeed RAID10,n2 is almost the same as normal RAID1, and RAID10,o2
>> is an implementation of a specific layout of the RAID1 standard.
>> RAID10,f2 could easily also be seen as a specific RAID1 layout.
>>
>> But that is the naming of terms that we have to deal with on this Linux
>> kernel list for the RAID modules.
>>
>> best regards
>> Keld
>> --
>>

> --
> Roberto Spadim
> Spadim Technology / SPAEmpresarial
> --

In a 4 disk RAID1+0 (where you have 2 HDDs in RAID1 (a) and 2 other
HDDs in RAID1 (b), then put them together in a RAID0) you can lose a
maximum of 2 HDDs, without any data loss. Sure, the "mirror" is
"broken", but your data is intact.

So, you can actually rip out 2 HDDs and still have your data,
providing you pull the "right" drives. A single disk can be described
as RAID0 (as it's not redundant).

// Mathias