Re: What's the typical RAID10 setup?

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 07:47:05PM -0200, Roberto Spadim wrote:
> =] hehehe there is no standard for linux, just the linux standard that
> was implemented :P

There is a Linux standard, LSB Linux Standard Base ISO/IEC 23360.
And then there is the POSIX standard that the Linux kernel and
many utilities in GNU/linux follow. POSIX is ISO/IEC 9945.

> linux raid10 work and is the same idea of the 'raid10' academic standard

raid1+0 and Linux MD raid10 are similar, but significantly different
in a number of ways. Linux MD raid10 can run on only 2 drives.
Linux raid10,f2 has almost RAID0 striping performance in sequential read.
You can have an odd number of drives in raid10.
And you can have as many copies as you like in raid10,

> i don?t know any raid standard, just hardware based standard

There is an organisation that standardizes RAID levels.
Unfortunately I cannot find a link right now.
The raid10 offset layout is an implementation of one of their specs.

> you can?t get a smart array(hp) disk and put on a perc(dell) or linux
> mdadm and wait it will work without tweaking...

Yes. And?

best regards
keld