Re: raid over ethernet

On 29/01/11 07:42, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011, Roberto Spadim wrote:

hi guys, i was thinking about raid over ethernet... there's a solution
to make a syncronous replica of my filesystem? no problem if my
primary server get down, i can mout my replica fsck it and continue
with available data
i was reading about nbd, anyone have more ideas?

Look into AoE (ATA over Ethernet).

I think AoE is limited to fairly direct connections - it doesn't use IP, and can't be routed (at least not easily - I'm sure it is possible if you try hard enough). The alternative is iSCSI, which does use IP and can therefore be routed and passed around over networks. AoE is therefore slightly more efficient, and iSCSI more flexible.

If you are looking at making a raid1 with an iSCSI or AoE target as one of the disks, consider using a write-intent bitmap and the --write-mostly and --write-behind flags.