Re: raid5+hotspare: request for recommended procedure

On 29/09/10 10:03, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
I also ran a "echo check>  /sys/block/mdX/md/sync_action" because this
had helped to remove those errors at another server, unfortunately it
did not help here.

Could you please advise what the better and safer alternative would be?

Run smartctl -t long, and see what the LBA of the errors are (smartctl -a when finished, and look at the error log) - it may be that it is outside of the used space (e.g. right at the end of the drive - I've seen this in the past) if this is the case, you can just dd over it.

If the test completes without error then the unreadable sector is either not user-addressable, or doesn't really exist, in which case I'd ignore it (or perhaps a security-erase will get the drive back into a sensible state). Some of the earlier firmwares for the ST3250310NS were a little buggy in my experience, so you might want to look at upgrading it (latest Seagate non-OEM firmware is SN06), which can be done with hdparm.

Tim.

--
South East Open Source Solutions Limited
Registered in England and Wales with company number 06134732.