Re: RAID Class Drives`

Aryeh Gregor schrieb:
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 4:15 AM, John Robinson
<john.robinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Do you have a reference for this? Most drives' operating temperature range
is specified up to 55°C, sometimes higher for enterprise drives, without any
indication (apart from common sense perhaps) that running them this hot
reduces lifespan.
Google's study of>100,000 disks over 9 months or so
<http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.html>  suggests that
hotter drives don't fail much more often:
Thanks for the link.
That study was referred to as a comparison to the current situation. But google only tested up to 400 GB in that statistic, and I DO remember that my old 160GB to 500 GB drives were all a lot hotter than any of my current drives. Those Samsung 1TB drives only reached 35°C during last hot summer, but I did let the fan rotate faster during the summer.

Current real world data of my drives (Windows main machine, room temperature is 23°C right now):
SAMSUNG 1 TB 27°C (HD103UJ)
WD 1 TB 30°C (WD10 EACS-00ZJBO)
WD 750 GB 34°C (WD75 00AACS-00ZJBO)
SAMSUNG 1 TB 25°C (HD103UJ)

Linux Server (mirrored drives):
SEAGATE 1,5 TB 34°C (ST31500341AS)
SEAGATE 1,5 TB 34°C (ST31500341AS) <- this one will probably fail in one or one and a half year if the realloc-sector count continues to develop this way.

Joachim Otahal