Re: RAID Class Drives`

Randy Terbush schrieb:
So the question becomes, do I try it again with the replacement drives
that Seagate is sending me, or do I hang them in my "desktop" and
spend the money for RAID Class drives? (I've grown tired of this
learning experience and would like to just have a dependable storage
system)
Desktop class drives are usually enough. On todays mobo's chipset SATA is enough too. You should take care of the temperature of the drives, 30°C to 35°C is preferred, above 35°C the lifespan goes down, over 40°C rapidly down. Do you have a regular checkarray interval? Like this one from debian (monthly first sunday): 57 0 * * 0 root [ -x /usr/share/mdadm/checkarray ] && [ $(date +\%d) -le 7 ] && /usr/share/mdadm/checkarray --cron --all --quiet Do you have a regular SMART check? Not only check the SMART status, keep the history of some values which change over time, most notably the Reallocated Sector Count, if that one changes every week on one drive (or even faster) it is time to take that drive out of the array.

Why would these drives be developing errors as a result of their
tortuous experience in a RAID array?
I don't think RAID is more stress than normal use at home, it depends on how long they run, how often they spin up, how hot they get. As for you description of the error behaviour: This is correct, RAID-SATA-drives don't spend a minute or more trying to read a possibly failing sector, most only try for less than 5 seconds to re-read a sector Also their mechanics have lower tolerance allowing higher MBTF values.

kind regards,

Joachim Otahal