Re: Change Chunk Size on Array?

On Tuesday May 12, sandeepksinha@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> crshman wrote:
> >
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I wanted to know if it were possible to change the chunk size on an array
> > after it has been created. I have a software raid 5 comprised of 7 drives
> > with a chunk size of 64k. I wanted to up that to 1024k, would this be
> > possible without losing any data? This isn't mission critical so it is ok
> > if i need to stop the array first, however I'd rather not lose any data.
> >
> It is possible to change the chunksize but for the same you would need to
> offline your array.

Is it?  How?

Online changing of chunk size for raid5 is very close to being
implemented.
All the kernel side support will be in 2.6.30.
I just need to spend some time getting mdadm to make it work.
Because data is being rearranged in-place, and because you don't want
to lose everything if your systems crashes, mdadm will have to work in
tandem with the kernel making a backup copy of a section of the array,
allowing the kernel to reshape that section, and then moving on to the
next section.  It will be slow, but it will be reliable.

NeilBrown