Re: time limited error recovery and md raid

Justin Piszcz wrote:

On further thought, might this not suggest that the linux raid system
waits indefinetly for I/O error, before kicking out?
It times out after 1-2 minutes. I have been dealing with this for a very long time, another 'symptom' is short smart tests taking forever when the disk is in a soon-to-be failing state.

If that is indeed the case, then if the use of the raid isnt
time-critical, then maybe its a good thing to have tler enabled, just in
case the disk is able to fix stuff?
With TLER enabled the drive is kicked out immediately. The purpose of TLER is that of HW raid where it can alert the controller about it and the controller
handles it.

Without TLER typically the raid controller will eventually (after 30 seconds or so) declare the disk dead and go on about its business.

The only thing TLER saves you is the 23 second faster timeout before the disk is declared dead. And if you are doing something critical the 7 second timeout is still potentially very troublesome. I would have though TLER had more value to be set quite a bit lower than 7 seconds.