Re: time limited error recovery and md raid

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008, Redeeman wrote:

Hello..

Im going to be building a software raid6 setup with probably 8 disks,
and i've been looking at the wd gp disks, which comes in both standard
and raid edition, with the raid edition being much more expensive.

I have searched around, and found that it is indeed possible to activate
tler on the "normal" disks, however, the setting has a parameter, more
specifically, how many seconds it should be limited to. Default is 7.

So i was wondering, what should that be set to, to be optimal for linux
md raid? i havent been able to find any information about this.

Thanks.

mvh.
Kasper Sandberg

The exact time is a good question.

Something I have noticed is when TLER is off, the drives hang up when they hit a bad sector and when TLER is on, the drives is kicked out of the array immediately when it reports a bad sector.

Justin.