Re: time limited error recovery and md raid

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008, Redeeman wrote:

On Fri, 2008-12-05 at 16:01 -0500, Justin Piszcz wrote:

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008, Redeeman wrote:

Hello..

Im going to be building a software raid6 setup with probably 8 disks,
and i've been looking at the wd gp disks, which comes in both standard
and raid edition, with the raid edition being much more expensive.

I have searched around, and found that it is indeed possible to activate
tler on the "normal" disks, however, the setting has a parameter, more
specifically, how many seconds it should be limited to. Default is 7.

So i was wondering, what should that be set to, to be optimal for linux
md raid? i havent been able to find any information about this.

Thanks.

mvh.
Kasper Sandberg

The exact time is a good question.

About this, shouldnt it be possible to find the exact time which the
linux raid system waits until it auto kicks out the drive?

Something I have noticed is when TLER is off, the drives hang up when they
hit a bad sector and when TLER is on, the drives is kicked out of the
array immediately when it reports a bad sector.

On further thought, might this not suggest that the linux raid system
waits indefinetly for I/O error, before kicking out?
It times out after 1-2 minutes.  I have been dealing with this for a very long
time, another 'symptom' is short smart tests taking forever when the disk is in a soon-to-be failing state.

If that is indeed the case, then if the use of the raid isnt
time-critical, then maybe its a good thing to have tler enabled, just in
case the disk is able to fix stuff?
With TLER enabled the drive is kicked out immediately. The purpose of TLER is
that of HW raid where it can alert the controller about it and the controller
handles it.