Re: time limited error recovery and md raid

On Fri, 2008-12-05 at 16:21 -0500, Justin Piszcz wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Dec 2008, Redeeman wrote:

> > I thought disks had this internally, and could be prompted to do it by
> > writing to the sector?
> Yes-- and that is what I did over and over again, dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/dsk
> it ran OK for 1-2 days but then it started erroring again with Velociraptors.
> With some old 400GiB Seagates, I did the same thing and their pending sector
> list rose but the drives still remained working for 1-2 years after.  The
> problems I mention are only applicable to my latest experience with
> velociraptor hdds.

Okay, you happen to have any knowledge to pass on about current 1tb
disks?

> >> typically, (having run md/linux) for a number of years is not
> >> super-necessary if you run checks on your disks once a week *AND* you have
> >> good drives that don't have problems.
> > Obviously i intent to replace broken disks as i detect them, but as i
> > understand it, its fairly common case that disks will get bad sectors
> > over time, and remap them internally?
> Yes, and with 'check' I believe it helps to ensure this process (it is like
> 'scrubbing') using RAID VERIFY in the 3ware controller.
sorry to ask so much, but by "this process", do you mean the drive
internally doing it rewriting, avoiding the kickout, or do you mean the
raid system discovering the disk as faulty, and kicking it? :)