Re: time limited error recovery and md raid

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008, Redeeman wrote:

On Fri, 2008-12-05 at 16:01 -0500, Justin Piszcz wrote:

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008, Redeeman wrote:

Hello..

Im going to be building a software raid6 setup with probably 8 disks,
and i've been looking at the wd gp disks, which comes in both standard
and raid edition, with the raid edition being much more expensive.

I have searched around, and found that it is indeed possible to activate
tler on the "normal" disks, however, the setting has a parameter, more
specifically, how many seconds it should be limited to. Default is 7.

So i was wondering, what should that be set to, to be optimal for linux
md raid? i havent been able to find any information about this.

Thanks.

mvh.
Kasper Sandberg

The exact time is a good question.

Something I have noticed is when TLER is off, the drives hang up when they
hit a bad sector and when TLER is on, the drives is kicked out of the
array immediately when it reports a bad sector.

First.. Does this happen with a degree of frequency on these disks? you
recommend other disks?
The disks I have are velociraptors, I will be reverting back to my old raptor150s shortly to ensure everything is fine with them before I go buying new hard drives, etc. It happened every week or two with velociraptors, bad drives or drives getting kicked out of the array over and over again.

second, when tler is off, it hangs FOREVER? or just until it gives up?
When TLER is off it hangs for 1-2 minutes and then you will see a timeout in the dmesg/kernel log and it (sometimes) kicks the drive out of the array, othertimes it 'hard' resets the drive the array is able to continue operating normally.

when tler is on, why does linux not attempt to remap the sector?
See my earlier posts on this question from last week. It would need a metadata section on each HDD to keep track of the bad sectors before it writes to the drives, a 3ware card will do this for you-- however, typically, (having run md/linux) for a number of years is not super-necessary if you run checks on your disks once a week *AND* you have good drives that don't have problems.

Justin.