RE: raid5 failed logical and physically; how to reconstruct?

Well, there are ways to recover it, but it comes down to how much damage
you started out with;  what damage (if any), the windows-based tool
might have done; whether or not you have unreadable blocks on surviving
disks.   If you just force a rebuild onto the new disk drive, then you
will absolutely make it worse.

If data loss could be in the thousands of dollars range, then I wouldn't
use a cookbook recovery.  Somebody who knows what they are doing and who
is directly involved will get more of your data back, and can look at
the raw blocks to see what is going on.  They may also look at the disk
that "failed" and perhaps get data from that disk.

I would immediately make raw copies of each physical device before going
further.  Hopefully you can pick up a cheap 1TB SATA disk and dd
everything onto it.  Not only can you play with a copy of the data, but
since you just lost a disk drive, then odds are high that another disk
in the RAID set will die.   Just one more drive failure and you have
100% data loss.

David