Re: [OT] If RAID's not backup... what do you use?

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008, John Robinson wrote:

I currently have a 3x1TB RAID-5 array. It contains backups of my other machines, taken with rsync. It's my central filestore, rsync'ed locally so I have previous editions. It also holds my media archive, and in particular my music collection that I really don't want to have to rip again. So while part of it is backup for other systems, part of it needs backed up. I'd like some means of coping with fire or theft of the server. I want something with some room to expand, which can do the whole job unattended. So what would the storage professionals here recommend? Tape autoloaders big enough to cope with >2TB seem stunningly expensive to me; even the tapes are as expensive per GB as hard drives...

The cheapest method?

Create another host, rsync + tar daily to the other host with the same configuration.

Justin.