Re: [OT] If RAID's not backup... what do you use?

Dear John,

In message <49267F25.4080806@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:
> I currently have a 3x1TB RAID-5 array. It contains backups of my other
> machines, taken with rsync. It's my central filestore, rsync'ed locally
> so I have previous editions. It also holds my media archive, and in
> particular my music collection that I really don't want to have to rip
> again. So while part of it is backup for other systems, part of it needs
> backed up. I'd like some means of coping with fire or theft of the
> server. I want something with some room to expand, which can do the
> whole job unattended. So what would the storage professionals here
> recommend? Tape autoloaders big enough to cope with >2TB seem stunningly
> expensive to me; even the tapes are as expensive per GB as hard drives...

If price maters, buy the previous-to-current technology used on eBay
or similar - say, some LTO2 autoloader/

Tapes can be stored savely for several years. Ever tried to  start  a
disk that has been stored (afther having been used for some time) for
- say - 5 years?

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd@xxxxxxx
"Most people would like to be delivered  from  temptation  but  would
like it to keep in touch."                             - Robert Orben