Re: new bottleneck section in wiki

On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 14:03 -0500, Matt Garman wrote:
> Is that true for all PCI-X implementations?  What's the point, then,
> of having PCI-X (64 bit/66 MHz or greater) if you have even one PCI
> card (32 bit/33 MHz)?

A 32bit/33MHz card only slows down the particular bus it's plugged into.
A lot of the server class machines that have had PCI-X in the past made
a specific point of using multiple PCI busses for the slots so that
plugging in that 32bit/33MHz card wouldn't effect the PCI-X card next to
it because they were on physically distinct busses.

> A lot of "server" motherboards offer PCI-X and some simple graphics
> chip.  If you read the motherboard specs, that simple graphics is
> usually attached to the PCI bus [1].  So what's the point of having
> PCI-X slots if everything is automatically downgraded to PCI speeds
> due to the embedded graphics?

Again, different physical busses.