Re: Proper partition type for components with V1.x superblocks?

On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 15:02 -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Neil Brown wrote:
> > On Wednesday June 11, rabbit+list@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> The subject pretty much says it all - it obviously is not 0xFD, since there is
> >> nothing to autodetect. Is there some best practice/semi-standard way of
> >> marking a raid component partition as such? After reading the specs 0xDA
> >> (non-fs data) comes to mind, but I figured I'll ask here.
> >>

> > I (almost) alway make arrays out of whole devices, not partitions, so
> > I really never thought about this.
> >
> > I suspect 0xDA is safest and hence best.
> > I wonder if this should be suggested in the mdadm man page
> > anywhere.... anyone feel like creating a patch?
> >

> Why 0xDA?
>
> As far as I know, the closest thing there is to a registry is the list
> that aeb at least used to maintain.

Actually, if you are going to use version 1 superblocks anyway, then
just list the partitions as normal linux partitions.  The whole
linux-raid-autodetect partition type was originally only for auto detect
at bootup.  If you weren't using that feature, then standard linux type
was good enough.  And if you use version 1.1 or 1.2 superblocks, then
you really don't have anything to worry about since the location of the
superblock and the data start offset means that the partition won't get
accidentally recognized as a non-raid partition.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194

Infiniband specific RPMs available at