Re: PCI ATA EIDE cards and kernel drivers

John Stoffel wrote:
I find the cost of CD-R media and DVD+R, as well as the issues with
longevity, to be my biggest concerns.  For those types of media,
having a very robust and redundant easy to recover format would be
key.  Haven't seen it done yet, though it's been talked about.  An
Archive filesystem, not a general access one.

Let me make one comment on that. To back up files of reasonable (<1GB) files, you can build a list of files which will fit on a single DVD (a series of lists actually), and backup the files to a DVD, either in ISO format or using the loopback mount to make an ext2 filesystem you can write to a DVD, or a tar, cpio, you get the idea. The tool to make the lists of files which will fit is "breaker" and is on www.tmr.com/~public/source for your enjoyment.

The other tool is dvdisaster, which builds software ECC for images you are going to burn. You can make DVDs with 3.3GB data + ECC on each DVD, or 4.4GB data per DVD and keep the ECC files separately, whatever pleases you. The recovery mode does work, I used scissors to scratch a DVD with my initials, then recovered the data.

Both programs have enough documentation for most users.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still