PCI ATA EIDE cards and kernel drivers

Hi all.

I'm running Fedora 8, and having suffered a recent hard disk failure, I want to set up a RAID1 array of two EIDE ATA 133 physical drives for my server. These will use the maximum number of partitions allowed under Linux. I also want to use a seperate non-raid ATA drive for making backups of important data from the RAID arrays. So in total I would have my important data on three seperate physical drives. I'm also making backups of my data to CD-R and DVD+R as well.

I have the standard EIDE connectors on my Motherboard, which will be used for the backup ATA drive, and the DVD RW optical drive. All drives will use separate cables and work as master drives. This applies to the RAID1 array drives as well.

**My Questions are:**

Do the PCI EIDE cards need to be supported with kernel drivers, or can I put any PCI EIDE card in the machine and it will 'just work'?

Obviously I don't want to buy the wrong PCI EIDE/ATA controller card.

Can anyone recommend any PCI EIDE ATA controller cards that are known to work under the latest versions of Linux please, without me having to keep re-compiling the kernel to support the PCI EIDE card?

I'm running kernel-2.6.24.4-64.fc8

Kind Regards

Keith Roberts

Websites: