Re: Question: how to identify failing disk in a RAID1

Maurice Hilarius wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:
..
I am pretty sure that one of the drives has developed some issues and needs to be replaced.
..

Very unexpected that the data would be bad without any hardware errors.
I DID say:
"I am pretty sure that one of the drives has developed some issues and needs to be replaced. "
Did you look at your logs to see if one of your drives, or perhasps both, are getting hardware errors?
Oh, I KNOW one does..
The question is WHICH one?

I no longer have any old logs showing errors, but /var/log/messages and/or dmesg should have an error message with a drive identification if you are getting disk errors.
I would run a 'check' and and see what mdadm finds on the array, you may have other problems.

Pardon my stupidity, care to share some syntax for that?

cd /sys/block/md0/md
echo check >sync_action; cat mismatch_cnt

That's the count of errors found. Replace 'check' with 'repair' to make the errors go away, reboot, run 'check' again.

Actually, I think I would run memtest86 for at least a few hours, starting from a really cold system (not just a cold boot, off for a few hours).
Did that already.
Your comment "on boot" may come from memory or other component which needs to physically get up to temperature before working reliably. Particularly if you don't get additional errors after you have been up for a while.

It happens cold or hot.

--
Regards, Maurice

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still