Re: component growing in raid5

hi

The validity of the snipped arguments depends on how many devices you have at every level:

*) how many nodes there are?
8 nodes
*) how many disks per node? do all nodes have an equal amount of disks?
currently there are 5 disks at every node, and yes: all nodes have equal amount,
but the only thing that matters is that the exported size should be the same

Without additional info I would say this: The problem with using raid5 on the top node is that you are stressing your network additionally for every r-m-w-cycle. Also rebuild of this array, especially if you add more leaves will be more and more resource intensive.
after the new nics installed, i except that the rebuild would take about 8 hours to complete yes, the r-m-w-cycle would be a pain - but i expect to have much more reads than writes this is truly resource intensive - but the bottleneck would be not at the network level, i think it will be
at the root node's south-west connection
i must note that this is my first raid setup ;) and i've not faced with rmw-cycle problems before, and because the use conditions doesn't imply continous random writes - we will be happy with this, next week we will try it out in target conditions - and if something is not going as expect, i will
reconsider applying raid10 to it

In contrast if the top array is RAID10 with 2 chunk copies, you will sacrifice half the space, however your rebuild will utilize only 2 drives (one reader one writer).
yes, that clearly could reach better performance, with .5 usable space-ratio
i'm working with relatively low-budget
current ratio is: 4*7/(5*8) = .7

kirk