Re: component growing in raid5

Nagy Zoltan wrote:
hi

I would simply use a v1.1 superblock which will be situated at the start of the array. Then you will face another problem - once you grow a leaf device, mdadm will not see the new size as it will find the superblock at sect 0 and will be done there. You will need to issue mdadm -A ... --update devicesize.
The rest of the operations are identical.
i feeled that there is another solution that i missed - thank you, next time i will do it this way -- because the system is already up and running, i don't wan't to recreate the array (about the chunksize: i've got back to 64Kb chunks because
of that bug - i was happy to see it running ;)

As a side note I am also curious why do you go the raid55 path (I am not very
impressed however :)
okay - i've run thru the whole scenario a few times - and always come get back
to raid55, what would you do in myplace? :)

The validity of the snipped arguments depends on how many devices you have at every level:

*) how many nodes there are?
*) how many disks per node? do all nodes have an equal amount of disks?

Without additional info I would say this: The problem with using raid5 on the top node is that you are stressing your network additionally for every r-m-w-cycle. Also rebuild of this array, especially if you add more leaves will be more and more resource intensive.

In contrast if the top array is RAID10 with 2 chunk copies, you will sacrifice half the space, however your rebuild will utilize only 2 drives (one reader one writer).

HTH

Peter