Re: raid10 on three discs - few questions.

Jon Nelson wrote:
On Feb 6, 2008 12:43 PM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx <mailto:davidsen@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Can you create a raid10 with one drive "missing" and add it later? I
    know, I should try it when I get a machine free... but I'm being
    lazy today.

Yes you can. With 3 drives, however, performance will be awful (at least with layout far, 2 copies).

Well, the question didn't include being fast. ;-)

But if he really wants to create the array now and be able to add to it later, it might still be useful, particularly if "later" is a small time like "when my other drive ships." Thanks for the input, I thought that was possible, but reading code isn't the same as testing.
IMO raid10,f2 is a great balance of speed and redundancy.
it''s faster than raid5 for reading, about the same for writing. it's even potentially faster than raid0 for reading, actually. With 3 disks one should be able to get 3.0 times the speed of one disk, or slightly more, and each stripe involves only *one* disk instead of 2 as it does with raid5.

I have used raid10 swap on 3 or more drives fairly often. Other than the Fedora rescue CD not using the space until I start it manually, I find it really fast, and helpful for huge image work.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still

-