Re: raid10 on three discs - few questions.

Neil Brown wrote:
On Sunday February 3, janek_listy@xxxxx wrote:
Hi,

Maybe I'll buy three HDDs to put a raid10 on them. And get the total
capacity of 1.5 of a disc. 'man 4 md' indicates that this is possible
and should work.

I'm wondering - how a single disc failure is handled in such configuration?

1. does the array continue to work in a degraded state?

Yes.

2. after the failure I can disconnect faulty drive, connect a new one,
   start the computer, add disc to array and it will sync automatically?

Yes.

Question seems a bit obvious, but the configuration is, at least for
me, a bit unusual. This is why I'm asking. Anybody here tested such
configuration, has some experience?

3. Another thing - would raid10,far=2 work when three drives are used?
   Would it increase the read performance?

Yes.

4. Would it be possible to later '--grow' the array to use 4 discs in
   raid10 ? Even with far=2 ?

No.

Well.... if by "later" you mean "in five years", then maybe.  But the
code doesn't currently exist.

That's a reason to avoid raid10 for certain applications, then, and go with a more manual 1+0 or similar.

Can you create a raid10 with one drive "missing" and add it later? I know, I should try it when I get a machine free... but I'm being lazy today.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still

-