Re: In this partition scheme, grub does not find md information?

Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 09:57:48AM -0600, Moshe Yudkowsky wrote:
>> In my 4 drive system, I'm clearly not getting 1+0's ability to use grub
>> out of the RAID10.  I expect it's because I used 1.2 superblocks (why
>> not use the latest, I said, foolishly...) and therefore the RAID10 --
>> with even number of drives -- can't be read by grub. If you'd patch that
>> information into the man pages that'd be very useful indeed.
>
> If you have 4 drives, I think the right thing is to use a raid1 with 4
> drives, for your /boot partition. Then yo can survive that 3 disks
> crash!

By the way, on all our systems I use small (256Mb for small-software systems,
sometimes 512M, but 1G should be sufficient) partition for a root filesystem
(/etc, /bin, /sbin, /lib, and /boot), and put it on a raid1 on all (usually
identical) drives - be it 4 or 6 or more of them.  Root filesystem does not
change often, or at least it's write speed isn't that important.  But doing
this way, you always have all the tools necessary to repair a damaged system
even in case your raid didn't start, or you forgot where your root disk is
etc etc.

But in this setup, /usr, /home, /var and so on should be separate partitions.
Also, placing /dev on a tmpfs helps alot to minimize number of writes
necessary for root fs.

/mjt
-