Re: Backups w/ rsync

Michael Tokarev writes:
: Dean S. Messing wrote:
: > Michal Soltys writes:
: []
: > :  Rsync is fantastic tool for incremental backups. Everything that didn't
: > :  change can be hardlinked to previous entry. And time of performing the
: > :  backup is pretty much neglible. Essentially - you have equivalent of
: > :  full backups at almost minimal time and space cost possible.
: >
: > It has been some time since I read the rsync man page.  I see that
: > there is (among the bazillion and one switches) a "--link-dest=DIR"
: > switch which I suppose does what you describe.  I'll have to
: > experiment with this and think things through.  Thanks, Michal.
:
: I haven't actually read the rsync manpage to this detail, but I
: do use rsync for backups this way, but a bit differently - yet
: more understandable without referring to manpages... ;)
:
: the procedure is something like this:
:
:   cd /backups
:   rm -rf tmp/
:   cp -al $yesterday tmp/
:   rsync -r --delete -t ... /filesystem tmp
:   mv tmp $today
:
: That is, link the previous backup to temp (which takes no space
: except directories), rsync current files to there (rsync will
: break links for changed files), and rename temp to $today.

Very nice.  The breaking of the hardlink is the key.  I wondered about
this when Michal using rsync yesterday.  I just tested the idea. It
does indeed work.

One question: why do you not use "-a" instead of "-r -t"?  It would
seem that one would want to preserve permissions, and group and user
ownerships.  Also, is there a reason to _not_ preserve sym-links
in the backup.  Your script appears to copy the referent.

Dean

P.S.  I think this thread has wandered from the topic of "linux-raid".
      I'm happy to cease and desist if this Off Topic discussion
      offends.
-