Re: Help: very slow software RAID 5.

Michael Tokarev writes:
: Dean S. Messing wrote:
: []
: > []  That's what
: > attracted me to RAID 0 --- which seems to have no downside EXCEPT
: > safety :-).
: >
: > So I'm not sure I'll ever figure out "the right" tuning.  I'm at the
: > point of abandoning RAID entirely and just putting the three disks
: > together as a big LV and being done with it.  (I don't have quite the
: > moxy to define a RAID 0 array underneath it. :-)
:
: "Putting three disks together as a big LV" - that's exactly what
: "linear" md module.
: It's almost as unsafe as raid0, but with
: linear read/write speed equal to speed of single drive...

I understand I only get the speed of a single drive was I was not
aware of the safety factor.  I had intended to use snapshotting off
to a cheap USB drive each evening.  Will that not keep me safe within a
day's worth of data change?  I only learned about "snapshots" yesterday.
I'm utterly new to the disk array/LVM game.

For that matter why not run a RAID-0 + LVM  across two of the three drives
and snapshot to the third?

: Note also that the more drives you add to raid0-like config,
: the more chances of failure you'll have - because raid0 fails
: when ANY drive fails.  Ditto - for certain extent - for linear
: md module and for "one big LV" which is basically the same thing.

I understand the probability increases for additional drives.

: By the way, before abandoming "R" in "RAID", I'd check whenever
: the resulting speed with raid5 (after at least read-ahead tuning)
: is acceptable, and use that if yes.

My problem is not quite knowing what "acceptable" is.  I bought a Dell
Precision 490 with two relatively fast SATA II drives. With RAID 0 I
attain speeds of nearly 140 MB/s (using 2 drives) for reads and writes
and the system is very snappy for everything, from processing 4Kx2K
video to building a 'locate' datebase, to searching my very large mail
archives for technical info.

When I see the speed loss of software RAID 5 (writes are at 55MB/s and
random reads are at 54 MB/s) for everything but seq. reads (and that
only if I increase read-ahead from 512 to 16384 to get read speeds of
about 110 MB/s I lose heart, esp. since I don't know the other
consequences of increasing read-ahead by so much.

: If no, maybe raid10 over
: the same 3 drives will give better results.

Does RAID10 work on three drives?  I though one needed 4 drives,
with striping across a pair of mirrored pairs.

Dean
-