Re: Help: very slow software RAID 5.

Dean S. Messing wrote:
Justin Piszcz wrote:
: One of the 5-10 tuning settings:
: : blockdev --getra /dev/md0 : : Try setting it to 4096,8192,16384,32768,65536 : : blockdev --setra 4096 /dev/md0 : :

I discovered your January correspondence to the list about this.  Yes,
the read-ahead length makes a dramtic difference---for sequential data
reading.  However, in doing some further study on this parameter, I
see that random access is going to suffer.  Since I had intended
to build an LVM on this RAID 5 array and put a full linux system on
it, I'm not sure that large read-ahead values are a good idea.

: Also, with a 3-disk raid5 that is the worst performance you can get using : only 3 disks

I don't know why (for reads) I should suffer such bad performance.
According to all I've read, the system is not even supposed to read
the parity data on reads.  So why do I not get near RAID 0 speeds w/o
having to increase  the Read-ahead value?

: , while with a 10 disk raid5 it'd be closer to 90%. Reads you : should get good speeds, but for writes-- probably not.

When you say "reads you should get good speeds" are you referring
to the aforementioned 10 disk RAID 5 or my 3 disk one?

: Then re-benchmark.

Large Read-ahead nearly double the speed of 'hdparm -t'.  (So does
simply using the "--direct" flag.  Can you explain this?)  Also, in
your opinion, is it wise to use such large read-aheads for a RAID 5
intended for the use to which I plan to put it?

Do you want to tune it to work well now or work well in the final configuration? There is no magic tuning which is best for every use, if there was it would be locked in and you couldn't change it.
Aside: I have found RAID quite frustrating.  With the original two
disks I was getting 120-130 MB/s in RAID 0.  I would think that for
the investment of a 3rd drive I ought to get the modicum of
redundancey I expect and keep the speed (at least on reads) w/o
sacrificing anything.  But it appears I actually lost something for my
investment.  I'm back to the speed of single drives with the modicum
of redundancey that RAID 5 gives.  Not a very good deal.
RAID-5 and RAID-1 performance are popular topic, reading the archives may shed more light on that. After you get to LVM you can do read ahead tuning on individual areas, which will allow you to do faster random access on one part and faster sequential on another. *But* when you run both types of access on the same physical device one or the other will suffer, and with careful tuning both can be slow.

When you get to the point where you know exactly what you are going to do and how you are going to do it (layout) you can ask a better question about tuning.

PS: adding another drive and going to RAID-10 with "far" configuration will give you speed and reliability, at the cost of capacity. Aren't shoices fun?

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc

-