Backups w/ rsync (was: Help: very slow software RAID 5.)

Michal Soltys writes:
:  Dean S. Messing wrote:
:  >
:  > I don't see how one would do incrementals.  My backup system uses
:  > currently does a monthly full backup,   a weekly level  3  (which
:  > saves everything that has changed since the last level 3 a week ago) and
:  > daily level 5's (which save everything that changed today).
:  >
:
:  Rsync is fantastic tool for incremental backups. Everything that didn't
:  change can be hardlinked to previous entry. And time of performing the
:  backup is pretty much neglible. Essentially - you have equivalent of
:  full backups at almost minimal time and space cost possible.

It has been some time since I read the rsync man page.  I see that
there is (among the bazillion and one switches) a "--link-dest=DIR"
switch which I suppose does what you describe.  I'll have to
experiment with this and think things through.  Thanks, Michal.

Dean

P.S. I changed the Subject: to reflect the new subject. Not sure if
that starts a new thread or not.
-