Re: Help: very slow software RAID 5.

Dean S. Messing wrote:
Again, I don't get these speeds. Seq. reads are about
170% of the average of my three physical drives if I turn up
the look-ahead.  Then random access reads drops to slightly less
than my slowest drive.
As nearly as I can tell, Dean was talking about RAID-10 at that point (I also suggested that) which you haven't tried. For small numbers of drives, assume the read speed will be (N - 1) * S for large sequential read, using RAID-10. Where S is the speed of a single drive. Random read depends on so many things I can't begin to quantify them in anything less than a full white paper, but for a single thread assume somewhere around S and aggregate (N - 1) * S again. Writes depend a lot on system tuning, stripe size, stripe_cache_size, chunk size, etc. Fortunately the best way to boost write speed is to have lots of memory and let the kernel buffer.

Finally, when you create your ext filesystem, think of:
- ext2 - no journal
- noatime mounts to avoid journal writes
- manually make the journal file *large* to spread head motion over drives
- consider moving journal file to a dedicated device (that old 20GB PATA drive?) - use the ext3 "stride" tuning stuff (I'm quantifying that in the next ten days).

Or just make a RAID-10 "far" array and stop agonizing over this stuff, there is no config which is best for everything, you must realize "fast, cheap, reliable - pick two" is the design paradigm of RAID, and the more you optimize for one usage pattern the more you impact some other.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc

-