Re: from raidtools2 to mdadm

Neil Brown wrote:

On Tuesday June 21, cs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On 06/21/2005 02:54 PM, Neil Brown wrote:

#> mdadm --detail --scan>> mdadm.conf

is enought to get the raid started the next time I have to reboot
the box.
1/ remove the 'devices=' parts.  Then it should be ok, providing there
  is a suitable DEVICES line at the top.
yeah I have a devices line on the top. If I don't have, I will need the
devices lines I guess.

No..
The 'devices=' bits by themselves aren't enough, and are rarely
wanted.
If a device isn't listed in the DEVICES lines, then it won't be
considered for use in an array.

The 'devices=' words are quite different.  They say "this is how you
recognise a device that is in this array.  All the devices in it are
on this list".
This is reported by "mdadm --detail --scan" largely for interest.  It
should rarely be included in mdadm.conf.  The very latest version ofn
mdadm does not report them unless --verbose is given.

So is there no way to ask mdadm to take what's running and create a config to make it happen again? Telling people to cread the man pages for a utility they did not use by choice and create a config file which could result in losing their data if it's wrong is a deterent to an upgrade, I suspect.

It would be desirable to follow the example of iptables, to allow rules to be configured by hand (more or less) and then have a tool to create a config file from what's there. A human readable editable file at that.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc

-