Re: 3Ware on 64bit Linux.

Harry Mangalam wrote:

On Friday 10 June 2005 1:25 am, Tim Moore wrote:

The SD's are 100% duty cycle, 24x7, 1M hour MTBF commercial SATA II drives,
whereas the JD's are SATA I with a "desktop" rating and a 'designed for
Microsoft Windows' cert.  Why WD would trade a commercial drive for a
desktop drive?

Dunno, but they did, altho the disks back were 'recertified', not new. As to

Interesting.  Maybe there were serious mfg problems with the JDs.

the 1M MTBF rating, I also dunno. I got 9 're-certified SD drives' back from WD and 2 of them (oops, make that 3 of them) have failed in the past 24 hours, which points to some underlying problem in the system. It's on a UPS which should condition the voltage. The drives that went out were on different ports and one of them was direct-connected, not via a hotswap cage (due to previous suspicions about the hotswap cage).

Any insight into this failure rate would be appreciated. About to open another support call to 3ware...

I've also taken "failed" WD drives on production hardware which have passed WD's own check program and found that badblocks -n will force remapping the bad sectors.

Besides that I've used 3Ware controllers since the 6400 and have had zero
problems with anything.

I guess I'm the reason they say YMMV. :)

Fair enough.
-