Re: 3Ware on 64bit Linux.

On Friday 10 June 2005 1:25 am, Tim Moore wrote:

> The SD's are 100% duty cycle, 24x7, 1M hour MTBF commercial SATA II drives,
> whereas the JD's are SATA I with a "desktop" rating and a 'designed for
> Microsoft Windows' cert.  Why WD would trade a commercial drive for a
> desktop drive?

Dunno, but they did, altho the disks back were 'recertified', not new.  As to
the 1M MTBF rating, I also dunno.  I got 9 're-certified SD drives' back from
WD and 2 of them (oops, make that 3 of them) have failed in the past 24
hours, which points to some underlying problem in the system.  It's on a UPS
which should condition the voltage. The drives that went out were on
different ports and one of them was direct-connected, not via a hotswap cage
(due to previous suspicions about the hotswap cage).

Any insight into this failure rate would be appreciated.  About to open
another support call to 3ware...

> Besides that I've used 3Ware controllers since the 6400 and have had zero
> problems with anything.

I guess I'm the reason they say YMMV. :)

> The gui tool is nice but not suited to production
> use.

It sounded like his problem was a one-off change in structure which the gui
was well suited for.

Unless you're going to script it into maint mode, the gui seems to have
benefits.
--
Cheers, Harry
Harry J Mangalam - 949 856 2847 (vox; email for fax) - hjm@xxxxxxxxx