Re: 3Ware on 64bit Linux.

Harry Mangalam wrote:

Then problems with the disks - the JD series are particularly ill suited to RAID5 apparently because of the BIOS algorithms and WD will replace them for more expensive SD series disks without complaint but the replacement web form is quite confusing and this delayed things even longer (they replaced only SOME of the disks with SD and some of them with more JDs). This was admittedly my fault, but the WD support person had a similarly difficult time with the form.

The SD's are 100% duty cycle, 24x7, 1M hour MTBF commercial SATA II drives, whereas the JD's are SATA I with a "desktop" rating and a 'designed for Microsoft Windows' cert. Why WD would trade a commercial drive for a desktop drive?

Besides that I've used 3Ware controllers since the 6400 and have had zero problems with anything. The gui tool is nice but not suited to production use.

t.
-