Re: RAID5 on different sized disks on low-end machine

Hi Derek!

What worries me a little bit about your setup is that you seem to want to put the drives as master and slave on each of the two busses of the ata controller. I think this is not so good an idea, because on one hand, it is slower (I tested this with a raid1 on two disks, master/slave on one and master/master on two channels of a Promise Ultra 133 TX2 under 2.4), and on the other, it is not so secure. The reason is that usually one disk going down (or one faulty cable) on an ide bus takes down the other drive on it as well so you would lose two of four (which is fatal for raid5), and would have to hope that you can force-resync the raid after unplugging the faulty disk.
It is a bit of luxury (and takes more pci slots and will perhaps produce a little more overhead on the pci bus), but I would use two controllers with four channels and only master disks (that´s what I am doing in two cases at the moment). What I also found out is that more than two of the exact same controllers on the pci bus don´t work (under 2.4), so in the two aforementioned cases I use two Promise U133 and one U100 (5 and 6 disks respectively).

Norman.

--
Norman Schmidt          Institut fuer Physikal. u. Theoret. Chemie
Dipl.-Chem. Univ.       Friedrich-Alexander-Universitaet