Re: convert degraded raid1 drive to ext3 format

Dear Guy,

On Monday 10 January 2005 11:40 am, you wrote:
> First, use mdadm, not the obsolete raidtools!
>
> You could create 3 arrays, each with 1 disk missing, then add/remove the
> extra disk where needed.  Your system and filesystems would be up and
> running during the add and remove, and all other times, if you want.
>
> The disks should be partitioned.  Partition type FD (RAID autodetect).
> If you have data on these drives that you want to keep, please explain.
>
> To create the arrays:
> mdadm -C /dev/md0 -l1 -n2 /dev/hda1 missing
> mdadm -C /dev/md1 -l1 -n2 /dev/hdc1 missing
> mdadm -C /dev/md2 -l1 -n2 /dev/hde1 missing
>
> Create your ext3 filesystems on /dev/md0 md1 and md2.
>
> To add the extra disk:
> mdadm /dev/md0 -a /dev/hdg1
>
> A re-sync or re-build will start.  But your filesystem is still usable.
>
> To remove the extra disk:
> First fail it:
> mdadm /dev/md0 -f /dev/hdg1
> Then remove it.
> mdadm /dev/md0 -r /dev/hdg1
>
> Now you can add it to another array.
>
> Just be sure to not fail a disk if the other disk in the array has failed!
> Or, game over!
>
> Guy

thank you very much, for your detailed guide to using mdadm.
I now understand it more. I will try to use it from now on. I must review how
a  nice configuration file gets created by these actions so that I can keep
track of what I did on the machine (similar to /etc/raidtab which is easy to
review).

PS. I like the game over bit :) !

I have practiced last night with using raidsetfaulty and raidhotadd and
raidstart and raidstop and thesee seem analogous to that.

I will work to convert over to mdadm.

Mitchell

-