RE: convert degraded raid1 drive to ext3 format

First, use mdadm, not the obsolete raidtools!

You could create 3 arrays, each with 1 disk missing, then add/remove the
extra disk where needed.  Your system and filesystems would be up and
running during the add and remove, and all other times, if you want.

The disks should be partitioned.  Partition type FD (RAID autodetect).
If you have data on these drives that you want to keep, please explain.

To create the arrays:
mdadm -C /dev/md0 -l1 -n2 /dev/hda1 missing
mdadm -C /dev/md1 -l1 -n2 /dev/hdc1 missing
mdadm -C /dev/md2 -l1 -n2 /dev/hde1 missing

Create your ext3 filesystems on /dev/md0 md1 and md2.

To add the extra disk:
mdadm /dev/md0 -a /dev/hdg1

A re-sync or re-build will start.  But your filesystem is still usable.

To remove the extra disk:
First fail it:
mdadm /dev/md0 -f /dev/hdg1
Then remove it.
mdadm /dev/md0 -r /dev/hdg1

Now you can add it to another array.

Just be sure to not fail a disk if the other disk in the array has failed!
Or, game over!

Guy