Re: Q: RAID-1 w/2x160GB, ReiserFS, Debian 'woody', homebrew 2.4.25 kernel

Tim Small wrote:

> Daniel Pittman wrote:

>>>see subject (Debian). I've looked at SuSE though, it seems with their
>>>setup RAID and ReiserFS is much easier to handle.

>>The upcoming release of Debian will feature MD and LVM device creation
>>at install time, but is not yet stable; the current stable release does
>>not support either of them.

> Sarge is pretty good at the moment (at least I am running production
> systems on it, and have been for the last few months) - the disadvantage
> of installing a new Woody system now is that security updates for it
> will probably stop before it's reached the end of it's useful life.  Of

Hi Tim,

Are you sure? I thought woody will be supported for quite some time. I've
been running an updated Debian with a couple self-compiled packages since
1999, upgraded a couple times but woody has been quite pain-less so far.
Only the current set up has been messed up a bit so far.

I'm planning to use SysCP (www.syscp.de) as a webhosting management
interface, which requires woody - for now. It'll probably switch to Sarge
when it becomes stable, which is why I don't plan on doing this right now.

I was faovouring SuSE because they have more up to date packages (Postfix
2.1, Apache 2.0.49, PHP 4.3.4, MySQL 4.0), and because I wouldn't have to
bake my own kernel (I need a couple patches that Debian doesn't supply,
most importantly the GRsecurity patch set, and ReiserFS quota and
data-logging).
But I found that I can get most of the packages via backports.org and
dotdeb.net, and that my homebrew 2.4.25 kernel with those patches just runs
far too painlessly to give up right now.

> course, as it's Debian, you should be able to upgrade to Sarge
> relatively painlessly, but I'd probably rather avoid the hassle, and go
> straight to Sarge now.  I think Debian Installer currently includes
> support for installing Sarge directly onto md mirrors (including
> handling the boot-loader stuff), but I haven't tried it yet...  Might be
> worth trying one of the daily builds from:
> http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

The problem here is that I won't ever see the box. It's a rented dedicated
server. And the company, they let you choose hardware and distribution and
partitioning but then just install the default with enabled "ssh" and let
you do the rest.

> The disadvantage of installing Sarge yet is that it won't go through the
> official security updates until it is released, but in the mean time,
> you can pull security-fixes in from unstable (using apt-pinning if you
> like) - sounds nasty but it seems to work quite well in practice.  Sorry
> for getting distribution-centric on the list!

This sounds like too much manual intervention to me. I just want the damn
thing to run. I'm past the experimenting stage where I compiled half the
system myself. :-)

--
Jens Benecke
http://www.hitchhikers.de - Europas kostenlose Mitfahrzentrale seit 1998