Re: Q: RAID-1 w/2x160GB, ReiserFS, Debian 'woody', homebrew 2.4.25 kernel

Daniel Pittman wrote:

see subject (Debian). I've looked at SuSE though, it seems with their setup RAID and ReiserFS is much easier to handle.

The upcoming release of Debian will feature MD and LVM device creation
at install time, but is not yet stable; the current stable release does
not support either of them.

Sarge is pretty good at the moment (at least I am running production systems on it, and have been for the last few months) - the disadvantage of installing a new Woody system now is that security updates for it will probably stop before it's reached the end of it's useful life. Of course, as it's Debian, you should be able to upgrade to Sarge relatively painlessly, but I'd probably rather avoid the hassle, and go straight to Sarge now. I think Debian Installer currently includes support for installing Sarge directly onto md mirrors (including handling the boot-loader stuff), but I haven't tried it yet... Might be worth trying one of the daily builds from:

The disadvantage of installing Sarge yet is that it won't go through the official security updates until it is released, but in the mean time, you can pull security-fixes in from unstable (using apt-pinning if you like) - sounds nasty but it seems to work quite well in practice. Sorry for getting distribution-centric on the list!

Tim.

-